With the rise of wireless health monitoring devices, people are collecting more data about themselves than ever before. When this information feeds the electronic health record (EHR), the results can be pretty powerful.
We’re helping connect this data through our newest solution, FollowMyHealthTM Achieve. It provides opportunities for patients and caregivers to work together to set goals, mark progress and achieve better health.
How FollowMyHealth Achieve works
We designed Achieve to help manage health for all patients, particularly those with high-risk, high-cost chronic conditions such as congestive heart failure, diabetes, hypertension and obesity. Here’s an overview:
1. Caregiver enters orders into Allscripts TouchWorks® EHR, with rules that trigger alerts. For example, a physician may require a patient to weigh herself every day. Patient-specific rules define expectations for frequency (e.g., daily), and a target for maintaining, gaining or losing weight within a certain period (e.g., lose 10 pounds in two months).
2. Patient accesses health goals via FollowMyHealth and links the wireless device to the portal. The patient can access health goals and track her progress from home. Wireless devices can include scales, blood pressure monitors and blood glucose meters.
3. Patient follows health goals. Connectivity enables patients and providers to continue to interact between visits, which can help patients change daily behaviors that impact their conditions.
4. Care team remotely monitors patient. Achieve watches for non-compliance and analyzes data in context with the orders and rules for that patient. For example, Achieve will trigger alerts if the patient who does not weigh herself for several days, or records weight gain or loss outside of the parameters.
5. EHR messaging alerts care team if patient doesn’t comply with care plan or exceeds parameters. Achieve provides results to the TouchWorks EHR, where it is automatically integrated with the patient’s record. Caregivers can access the information within their normal clinical workflow. If results are out of range or the patient is non-compliant, the solution notifies the care team. At that point the team may decide to call the patient or schedule a follow-up appointment to intervene.
Studies show remote patient monitoring is effective
Caregivers are employing new tools and care delivery models to combat chronic disease and its devastating effects. Chronic disease has a worldwide estimated price tag of $47 trillion by 2030 (that’s a billion dollars every day for the next 128 years). According to the World Health Organization, chronic disease will account for three of every four deaths globally by 2020.
Remote patient monitoring is one of the tools that is working. One study forecasts that it could save $36 billion in healthcare costs by 2018. And the U.S. Veteran’s Health Administration found that remote monitoring reduced hospital admissions by 20% and bed days by 25%.
FollowMyHealth Achieve can help caregivers looking for ways to improve the health of patients. With access to real-time indicators of patient health, they can intervene before the condition escalates. We’re excited about the potential FollowMyHealth Achieve offers to help build a healthier population, one patient at a time.