Alberta Health Services (AHS) serves nearly four million residents of Alberta and surrounding Canadian provinces. AHS Calgary Zone uses Sunrise by Allscripts™ to improve clinical and financial results in a number of ways (read more about AHS outcomes in a new case study, which you can download for free here.)
Along the way, AHS learned some valuable lessons about how to succeed with clinical IT system deployments. Here are some of the keys to success:
- Let IT make decisions without clinician input
- Let vendors draft the strategy and tell you what it costs
- Under-resource content build, system design, training and support just to save money
- Chase unrealistic timelines
- Expect clinicians to automatically accommodate all new technology
- Engage leadership in all levels of implementation decisions
- Keep your organizational commitment and focus
- Make the deployment the highest priority
- Align clinical business with IT teams
- Assess readiness of your people, system and technology
- Remember lessons learned from previous installations
Getting the implementation right can have long-lasting benefits, including better adoption and clinical outcomes. Sunrise solutions enable the informatics team to work closely with the clinical business to help transform health care, one strategy at a time.
New capabilities enable them to measure key variable elements of care, define best practices, create clinical decision support to standardize care, then measure progress. For example, AHS improved care with strategic clinical support in its transfusion medicine and diabetic patient management efforts.
Thanks to AHS for sharing these insights with the greater Connected Community of Health. We applaud their success and we look forward to further partnership to improve outcomes for Albertans.
If you’d like to learn more about AHS and its successes, I encourage you to read more in the free case study.