For the past 29 years, Calvin L. Dixon, M.D. and his wife, Daisy Dixon, have managed a busy pulmonology practice in Duncanville, Texas. They help patients ages 4 to 94 with lung diseases, such as asthma, pneumonia and emphysema.
Earlier this year, the practice made the transition from Allscripts MyWayTM to Allscripts Professional EHRTM. This practice is one of 1,400 organizations making the switch as part of an initiative Allscripts announced last fall, to meet the needs of an evolving healthcare industry.
We received a thank-you letter from practice manager, Daisy Dixon. She recently spoke with us about her experience, which included 10 reasons she’s glad the practice migrated:
- Able to keep 95% of the workflow the same. Dixon took many opportunities to learn about the system to adopt Pro to her practice’s workflows. She attended weekend trainings and started the simulation training in February. By the time data migrated on March 24 and the practice went live on June 24, Dixon was able to adopt nearly every workflow to her practice’s needs.
- Data migrated accurately. Dixon admits she was concerned about how well the data would migrate from one system to the other. However she was pleased to note that, “The data was accurate and we found very few errors.”
- More detail appears on reports. Staff finds it helpful that the reports contain more details, including the patient’s insurance information. Also according to Dixon, patients appreciate new details, such as the next appointment date, that appear on clinical summaries.
- Easier to reprint statements. Dixon found this process to be simple in Pro.
- New reports to track claims. Now, Dixon can obtain detailed services and procedure reports and see if claims have been paid partially or completely.
- Patients can do more online. Patients have reacted positively to the new online options, such as paying bills or viewing lab results.
- More thorough claim validation process. “To process a claim, I have to click a few more buttons in Pro,” Dixon said. “But by the end I know that claim is clean, and it is going to get paid.”
- Potential to see more new patients. As the team learns to use the system more efficiently, Dixon expects they will be able to see more patients.
- Practice drew strength from solid support. “The support team was fantastic and helped with a seamless transition,” said Dixon. “To know that we could call in to a live support option the first week was so comforting.”
- Continuous learning options. Dixon intends to continue to attend trainings to help with ongoing goals, including preparing for Meaningful Use Stage 2. “Allscripts support team always goes the second mile,” she said. “They answer my questions and then explain other helpful tips related to my questions. I learn so much about the system that way.”
Adjusting to the wider variety of options available in Pro has taken some time, but Dixon said the benefits make it all worthwhile. When giving advice to practices considering the transition, Dixon laid out three key steps:
- Step One – Preparation. “Use ClientConnect. It has such wonderful articles, webinars and live demonstrations. If you know what you’re getting into, it makes the whole process easier.”
- Step Two – Activation. “Definitely use the simulation training and weekend trainings. They will cover things specific to your practice.”
- Step Three – Customization. “We customized everything according to our own workflow. That is what made our transition easier.”
Thanks to the Dixons for sharing their experience with the Connected Community of Health. For other examples of successful migrations, visit ClientConnect, or read a recent blog post: Compass Pediatrics masters migration from Allscripts MyWay to Allscripts Pro EHR. If you would like more information about the upgrade, please contact ProUpgradeQuestions@allscripts.com.